[OM] Re: OT For the 4X4 Listees

Subject: [OM] Re: OT For the 4X4 Listees
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:02:03 -0000
Jan Steinman wrote:

> <snip> Serious depletion modelers refer to "EROEI" -- energy returned
> on energy invested -- rather than dollars. When you look at it in
> those terms, it becomes clear that a breakpoint will be reached,
> most say within 30 years. <snip>
> Try <http://www.DieOff.org> on for size. WARNING: it's not a pretty
> sight. But you can continue down that river in Egypt if you prefer
> -- for a while, at least.

The trouble with all this "doom" stuff is that groups of this ilk have
been saying it for donkeys years - with different reasons to suit their
own particular whim of the decade! In the 50s when the Thames froze over
the merchants of doom were predicting another ice-age.

After so long of crying wolf, I'm finding it difficult to take anything
they say seriously any more, even though I suspect there may be some
truth lurking in it somewhere.

Regards,

Simon