[OM] Re: For all those who enjoy B&W

Subject: [OM] Re: For all those who enjoy B&W
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:01:27 -0400

> Same kind of feelings have been felt over the past year while expanding my
> OM system - I've been unsure whether I'm flogging a dead horse or whether
> I'd see an analogue renaissance once digital settled down and people
> realised there was something missing
>
> Andrew McPhee

I've sometimes felt the same when buying film based camera equipment lately.
But yesterday I had another roll of Kodak E100VS developed, and was reminded
again of what is missing in digital. I had shot a bunch of pictures of snow
scenery, back-lit ice-laden trees, and other winter scenes with both the
C5050, and with this slide film. I thought the digital was okay in the
bright snow, until I got the slides back. My experience so far has been,
that for some things, digital compares favorably, and even has an edge over
film. But there are other conditions, such as I mentioned, where it's not
even close.

So for me, it's not so much a matter of digital versus film, but learning
which one works best for the situation.

The last part of this roll of slide film I ran through the Olympus 35 ED,
just to see how accurately it's auto-only exposure system would handle slide
film, where the exposure is very critical. So to put it to a real test, I
took some pictures of back-lit ice-covered trees, including a lot of sky
with a bright sun still quite a bit above the horizon, and only slightly
filtered through scattered cloud cover, shining straight into the lens. It
was so bright I couldn't look through the viewfinder to compose the shot. I
really thought I wouldn't get anything, but the slides came back with the
ice-covered trees perfectly exposed, no ghosting of aperture, or lens flare,
and the direct sun portion of the pic only slightly washed out. Quite
frankly, I was more or less shocked, both at the way the film, and the old
35ED camera, handled it. I'm not sure even how I would have metered it
manually in the 2s to get it as good.   I know neither my OM2s, nor OMPC
with ESP, would get that right in either auto or program mode. And the C5050
in that situation? Well, don't make me laugh.

Wayne