[OM] Re: A brief return to film

Subject: [OM] Re: A brief return to film
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 09:34:15 -0700
Welcome to the community David,

An OM-2N is definitely a very nice camera. Its electronics are simple enough
either Clint at http://www.olyfix.com or John at http://www.zuiko.com can
probably keep it running until they retire.

You should also consider an OM-4. The OM-4 has a spot meter which makes it
easier to measure how the brightness of the scene varies. A very nice chrome
OM-2N will probably cost about $120 while a nice OM-4 runs about $250, and
finally a OM-4T version is roughly $500 - $750 depending upon how pretty it
looks and color (near mint champagne for $500, while black is probably close
to $750). Functionally there is very little difference between an OM-4T and
an OM-4. The OM-4T is newer, has some extra flash capability when used with
the F280 flash, and its circuits generally drain the batteries slower. The
electronics in the OM-4(T) are more problematic to repair.

You didn't mention what type of photography your daughter is most likely to
pursue; portraits, urban life, landscape etc. With landscape photography
there is normally plenty of time to set the exposure and compose the
picture. With people it is more common to set the camera then grab the
instant.

As far as the digital vs. film debate goes it again depends on shooting
preferences. Digital can be less expensive getting prints but the cost of
the camera will probably be significantly higher. I use both digital and
film. For landscapes I'm still heavily in favor of film because I use a
tripod and take the time to get an image that I don't feel I can quite
duplicate with an affordable digital (Olympus E-1). If most of the pictures
will be taken hand held, the higher ISO rating of digital gives it the
advantage. The E-1 is a very nice feeling camera that is an excellent tool
for taking pictures and learning about taking pictures. It enables the
photographer to easily have as much control over the settings as he/she
desires. Many of the point and shoot cameras make it more difficult to
control the settings which in turn can slow down the learning process.

A few excellent web sites you will want to bookmark are:
http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif.htm
http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.shtml

Also useful are