[OM] Re: A brief return to film

Subject: [OM] Re: A brief return to film
From: David Reed <davidbreed@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 08:50:39 -0500
To all;
 From a former OM2n owner.  In 1980 I bought my first pro outfit. At
that time I worked as an assistant electrician on motion picture film
crews and had access to the 'tails' of the film used in the Panavision
Panaflex cameras. Nice stuff for general work, and getting slides as
well as negatives was very useful. It was Kodak film but I forget the
number.

I took great pride in that camera and some of the work I learned to do
with it. However, I fell upon hard times and had to exchange it with my
landlord for several months rent in 1982. It languished in his closet
for years and before I could get it back, he disappeared into the Nevada
sunsets to who knows where.

I have never owned another SLR.

Today, my 16 year old daughter announced she will be taking a
photography class next year, her senior year.
She is a serious person and does not bounce from one idea to the next.
She has always shared my love of photography and has seen my work, and
reads the Kodak book I bought for her, lo these many years ago.

She says she needs a film camera.  I ,of course, recommened that which I
know, an OM2n.  When I went looking for current info on them, I find
that Olympus no longer offers one, at least there is no info on them at
olympus.com.

So, I googled for them. Some, but not a lot of hits.  One, notably, is a
Gold Collector at $3K+. Nice, very nice. But not practical for her.
Most others I saw are in the UK or Europe.  We live, very modestly
compared to the lifestyle I lived in Las Vegas in the '80s when I was
single, in a double-wide mobile on 5 acres in the Southwest corner of
Missouri in a town of barely 5K souls.

My point in joining the list was to A) help her find a used camera and
gear,  B) dust off my old skills and knowledge to assist her, and C)
interest her in the community of artists that she might find herself a
part of.

Any tips, suggestions or ideas you would like to offer would be greatly
appreciated.
Arguments for or against a digital unit vs a film unit are also hepful,
as this is question she will face.

Sincerely, Lindseys' dad,

David Reed