[OM] Re: Question on DVDs

Subject: [OM] Re: Question on DVDs
From: David Reed <davidbreed@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 04:16:49 -0500
John,

As I get it, there are really very few actual mfgs of the materials that
go into making recordable DVD/CDs'.
There are many 'labeled' brands for sell, some more on one side of the
pond(s) than the other.

Original CD/DVD are produced in "clean-rooms" on metallic film that are
quite durable, but until time has passed, that durability is still in
question, right? These are still relatively new tech materials. Film has
a history we can trace.

As to consumer recordable  materials, some have failed even the most
recent history endurance evaluations. Some as short as a year.

Taiyo and Ritek, to date, have proven to produce the most consistent
PRODUCTION LEVEL quality, and as of the most current postings I can
find, the best long-term (albeit it short) longevity.

It is not so much what trademark name you find the media produce under,
but who made the media for the "name-brand" purveyor.

David Reed