[OM] Re: Digital, digital, Part 2 - a contrary view

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital, digital, Part 2 - a contrary view
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:32:57 +0200

On 14 Apr 2005, at 21:57, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> I can understand blowing off a bit of steam caused by the frustration
> of not being able to keep up with the most significant development in
> photographic equipment in over a 100 years, but really...  Probably
> nearly half the people on the list are shooting digital of some kind
> and to have a thread that trashes their equipment does not seem very
> nice at all even with protestations of humor.
>
> Just for a bit of accuracy the split between metal and plastic bodied
> cameras is still about 50/50 even in the digital age.

I didn't see Walt's post as trashing digital equipment -- rather, I saw
that Walt was trying to just express his feelings about photography. I
somewhat share his sentiments, but with the complete and utter
understanding that it's I who's the dinosaur who can't keep up, can't
adopt my methods to working with digital etc.

My CDFO is an enthusiastic digital photographer, and can create
wonderful things with these new tools while fully enjoying that
process. I can't do that -- but I can enjoy the results and engage in a
process which I enjoy.

I believe that lots of listees have both digital and analog equipment,
and we've seen some wonderful work from both camps.

And yes, we are likely springing for a DSLR this year, or at the very
latest next year. Can't refuse progress -- but won't reject tradition
either.

--thomas