[OM] Suggestions needed for a photo copying effort

Subject: [OM] Suggestions needed for a photo copying effort
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 11:33:38 -0700
I have a copying job to do, and copy-work is entirely out of my ken. Any
and all suggestions are welcomed in hope of minimizing the potential
problems and achieving a good result.

The target is a tintype photo, dating from approximately 1890 (I'm
guessing, based on the photo's history). It's fairly typical in that
it's approx. 2.75x3.25 inches and has been enclosed in a (non-removable)
ornate brass "case" having an oval aperture through which the tintype is
displayed. Thankfully, there's no glass involved. It's in reasonably
good shape, but has suffered some bending over the years and is
therefore *not* flat.

I've got a collection of OM bodies (1n, 2n, 4, 4t) and a fair selection
of macro gear (bellows, various auto macro tubes, 50/3.5, 80/4 and 135/4
macros lenses) and some flash gear to choose from. My primary goal here
is to reproduce the *photo*, without concern for including the frame.
I've got a lot of time to play with getting a good shot, as the tintype
is an old family photo recently passed down to me.

BTW, and semi-on-topic: I cannot stress enough how important it is to
accurately *label* at least one set of family photos. As the sort of
unofficial archivist/genealogist/historian for some of the far-flung
branches of my family, I'm faced with a number of real puzzles in
identifying the individuals in some photos, a job that would be
infinitely easier had I more to go on from even a crude attempt at
labeling. This humble tintype is an example... I've only a guess at who
the gentleman pictured may be, based on where the photo has been for the
last century+.

With that in mind... Would anyone in the British Isles know where/what
"Shuna RCYC" may have been? It's embroidered in the pictured gentleman's
sweater and he looks a bit nautical, so I'm assuming it may be some sort
of yacht club or the like? I know that Shuna is an island off the coast
of Scotland, and also that a collier named "Shuna" was wrecked off the
Scottish coast ca. 1913, but beyond that have had no luck in internet
searches. My only real knowledge, so far, of the photo's provenance is
that it came down to me via my grandmother's family, which should place
its origin somewhere between ca. 1860 and about 1910 (and as earlier
mentioned, more likely around 1890, I think), most probably on the
Kintyre peninsula (lots of family from the Campbeltown area) and less
probably in the vicinity of Glasgow.

---
Scott Gomez