[OM] Re: [OT} more E-1 silliness

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT} more E-1 silliness
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:02:11 -0400
On 8/15/05, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I quite like this. I'm often trying to capture textures in nature. I
> like the first one too. Shouldn't be surprised, since you've made nice
> images with OMs.

Thanks for the feedback. :)  And BTW, the one-touch WB on the E-1 is
more like 9000K "cool". :)

> Were you shooting JPEG? Remember, JPEG is only 8 bits, 256 values, of
> brightness data per color. The camera can capture 12 bits, 4096 values.
> I don't remember the math for stops, but it is in the archives, on
> Luminous Landscape and other places.

Yes I was which just added to the problem as you explained.  I have
just now begun to shoot RAW after doing a bit of reading on the net.
It's far less of a hassle than I originally thought.  I worked with
both the Photoshop plugin as well as Olympus Viewer 1.3's RAW
converter.  Olympus Studio v1's RAW converter has a few more options
though I'm not sure if the added expense will justify any improvement
in quality.  If you or someone else has an opinion on this, please
advise.  At the current time I'm unable to use Pixmantec's free
converter as I am running Win98SE.  Thanks for your advice and tips.
I can use all the help I can get. :)

Richard