[OM] Re: OT: "Its all Bush's fault"; long

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: "Its all Bush's fault"; long
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 22:43:10 EDT

As I have been here in Biloxi, MS,  watching and taking part in the best of
human nature rising to the  tragedy of Hurricane Katrina, I have been appalled
at the snatches of TV news  out of New Orleans I have been able to watch when
we had the generator  running. Shooting at relief helicopters? Raping and
killing small children? What  madness! None of this behavior can be justified
by
hunger or thirst. None of it  happened here on the Coast. And none of it can be
blamed on the President.  Here's an opinion on the situation.
Greg

Subject: FW: Hurricane  Katrina-The Welfare State

____________________________________

____________________________________

_http://www.tiadaily.blogspot.com/_ (http://www.tiadaily.blogspot.com/) )
TIA Daily -- September 2,  2005
By Robert Tracinski
It has taken four long days for state and  federal officials to
figure out how to deal with the disaster in New Orleans.  I can't blame them,
because it has also taken me four long days to figure out  what is going on
there. The reason is that the events there make no sense if  you think that we
are confronting a natural disaster.

If this is just  a natural disaster, the response for public officials is
obvious: you bring  in food, water, and doctors; you send transportation to
evacuate refugees to  temporary shelters; you send engineers to stop
the flooding and rebuild the  city's infrastructure. For journalists, natural
disasters also have a  familiar pattern: the heroism of ordinary people
pulling
together to survive;  the hard work and dedication of doctors, nurses, and
rescue
workers; the  steps being taken to clean up and rebuild.

Public officials did not  expect that the first thing they would have
to do is to send thousands of  armed troops in armored vehicle, as if they
are suppressing an enemy  insurgency. And journalists--myself
included--did not expect that the story  would not be about rain, wind, and
flooding, but
about rape, murder, and  looting.

But this is not a natural disaster. It is a man-made  disaster.

The man-made disaster is not an inadequate or incompetent  response
by federal relief agencies, and it was not directly caused by  Hurricane
Katrina. This is where just about every newspaper and television  channel has
gotten the story wrong.

The man-made disaster we are now  witnessing in New Orleans did not
happen over the past four days. It happened  over the past four decades.
Hurricane Katrina merely exposed it to public  view.

The man-made disaster is the welfare state.

For the past few  days, I have found the news from New Orleans to be
confusing. People were not  behaving as you would expect them to
behave in an emergency--indeed; they  were not behaving as they have behaved
in
other emergencies. That is what has  shocked so many people: they have been
saying that
this is not what we expect  from America. In fact, it

is not even what we expect from a Third World country.

When  confronted with a disaster, people usually rise to the
occasion. They work  together to rescue people in danger, and they
spontaneously
organize to keep  order and solve problems. This is especially true in
America. We
are an  enterprising people, used to relying on our own initiative rather
than  waiting around for the government to take care of us. I have seen this
hundred times, in small examples (a small town whose main traffic light  had
gone out, causing ordinary citizens to get out of their cars and serve  as
impromptu traffic cops, directing cars through the intersection) and  large
ones (the spontaneous response of New Yorkers to September  11).

So what explains the chaos in New Orleans?

To give you an  idea of the magnitude of what is going on, here is a
description from a  Washington Times story:

"Storm victims are raped and beaten; fights erupt  with flying fists,knives
and guns; fires are breaking out; corpses litter  the streets; and police and
rescue helicopters are repeatedly fired  on.
"The plea from Mayor C. Ray Nagin came even as National  Guardsmen
poured in to restore order and stop the looting, carjackings and  gunfire....

"Last night, Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco said 300  Iraq-hardened
ArkansasNational Guard members were inside New Orleans with  shoot-to-kill
orders.

"'These troops are...under my orders to restore  order in the streets, she
said ,"They have M-16s, and they are locked and  loaded. These troops know
how
to shoot and kill and they are more than  willing to do so ifnecessary and I
expect they will."

The reference  to Iraq is eerie. The photo that accompanies this article
shows National  Guard troops, with rifles and armored vests, riding on
an armored vehicle  through trash-strewn streets lined by a rabble of
squalid,
listless people,  one of whom appears to be yelling at them. It looks exactly
like a scene  from Sadr City in Baghdad.

What explains bands of thugs using a natural  disaster as an excuse
for an orgy of looting, armed robbery, and rape? What  causes unruly mobs to
storm the very buses that have arrived to evacuate  them, causing the
driversto drive
away, frightened for their lives? What  causes people to attack the
doctors trying to treat patients at the Super  Dome?

Why are people responding to natural destruction by causing further
destruction? Why are they attacking the people who are trying to  help
them?

My wife, Sherri, figured it out first, and she figured it  out on a
sense-of-life level. While watching the coverage last night on  Fox
News Channel, she told me that she was getting a familiar feeling. She
studied
architecture at the Illinois Institute of Chicago, which is located  in the
South Side
of Chicago just blocks away from the Robert Taylor Homes,  one of the
largest high-rise public housing projects in America. "The  projects," as
they were
known, were infamous for uncontrollable crime and  irremediable squalor. (They
have since, mercifully, been  demolished.)

What Sherri was getting from last night's television  coverage was a
whiff of the sense of life of "the projects." Then the  "crawl"--the
informational phrases flashed at the bottom of the screen on  most news
channels--gave some vital statistics to confirm this sense: 75% of  the
residents of New
Orleans had already evacuated before the hurricane, and  of the 300,000 or so
who

remained, a large number were from the city's  public housing
projects. Jack Wakeland then gave me an additional, crucial  fact: early
reports

from CNN andFox indicated that the city had no plan for evacuating  all of the
prisoners in the city's jails--so they just let many of them  loose. There is
no doubt
a significant overlap between these two  populations--that is, a large
number of people in the jails used to live in  the housing projects, and vice
versa.

There were many decent, innocent  people trapped in New Orleans when
the deluge hit--but they were trapped  alongside large numbers of people
from two groups: criminals--and wards of  the welfare state, people selected,
over decades, for their lack of  initiative and self-induced helplessness.
The welfare wards were a mass of  sheep--on whom the incompetent
administration
of New Orleans unleashed a pack  of wolves.

All of this is related, incidentally, to the apparent  incompetence
of the city government, which failed to plan for a total  evacuation of the
city, despite the knowledge that this might be necessary.  But in a city
corrupted by the welfare state, the job of city officials is to  ensure the
flow of
handouts to welfare recipients and patronage to political  supporters--not to
ensure a lawful, orderly evacuation in case of  emergency.

No one has really reported this story, as far as I can tell.  In
fact, some are already actively distorting it, blaming President Bush,  for
example, for failing to personally ensure that the Mayor of New Orleans  had
drafted an adequate evacuation plan. The worst example is an execrable  piece
from the Toronto Globe and Mail, by a supercilious Canadian who blames  the
chaos on American "individualism." But the truth is precisely the  opposite:
the chaos
was caused by a system that was the exact opposite of  individualism.

What Hurricane Katrina exposed was the psychological  consequences of
the welfare state. What we consider "normal" behavior in an  emergency is
behavior that is normal for people who have values and take  the
responsibility to pursue and protect them. People with values respond to  a
disaster by
fighting against it and doing whatever it takes to overcome the  difficulties
they face. They don't sit around and complain that the  government hasn't
taken
care of them. They don't use the chaos of a disaster  as an opportunity to
prey on their fellow men.

But what about  criminals and welfare parasites? Do they worry about
saving their houses and  property? They don't, because they don't own
anything. Do they worry about  what is going to happen to their businesses or
how
they are going to make a  living? They never worried about those things
before. Do they worry about  crime and looting? But living off of stolen
wealth

is away of life for them.

The welfare state--and the brutish,  uncivilized mentality it
sustains and encourages--is the man-made disaster  that explains the moral
ugliness that has swamped New Orleans. And that is  the story that no one is
reporting.

Source: TIA Daily -- September 2,  2005