[OM] Re: I must be a masochist - Off the hook!

Subject: [OM] Re: I must be a masochist - Off the hook!
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:16:48 -0300
On 9/16/05, AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> They NEVER have much of a budget left for the photo shoot.

Not surprising.

> BTW, 4x5 photography for this type of described photography
> would be a minimum of $1000 plus double all costs.  This is
> regardless of whether or not they are supplying some of the gear
> or not.  Just hiring the gun (and the camera itself) will run a
> minimum of $1000.

Yeah which about an order of magnitude more than what the had in the
budget which was why the favours were getting called in.

> Considering the overall cost of a project like you describe,
> hiring a pro at $1000-2000 represents a small fraction of the
> entire project.
>
> I'd still show up and "assist" just for the education.

I may still do that depending on the scheduling. I'm sure they
wouldn't mind having a backup set of gear around for that matter given
the tight turnaround time (looks like the shoot will be Sunday, rush
processing at the lab on Monday so it can be scanned and put into the
final layout the same day).

Honestly, in a situation like this I'm almost glad they weren't
offering a lot of money. If they were I would have had a lot more
stress about getting the shot perfect and for it to be "worth" the
money they were offering. The money they were offering was so low and
so below the normal realm of pro fees that it took a lot of the
pressure off the situation (and given the other factors, there was
still plenty pressure to go around).

So for the moment I'm enjoying that it fell through but I'm also going
to keep my Sunday open just in case I get that panicked phone call
that the other person fell through.