[OM] Re: E-500 specs (long)

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 specs (long)
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:35:53 +0200
Le jeudi 29 Septembre 2005 12:16, Patrick Moore a écrit :
> * On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 06:12:07AM -0400, Chuck Norcutt said:
> > I thought it was pretty rEVOLTing myself because that's the word that is
> > invoked in my mind when I see EVOLT.  Yuck!
>
> I've noticed other manufacturers using names in addition to numbers in the
> US market.  Why they can't just use the model number I'll never know.

Because a) you can't protect a number as a trademark in the USA b) prices are
much cheaper in the USA than everywhere else in the west world, so much that
producers wish to avoid cross-import as much as possible (and that's not
*only* tax-related) ; we, europeans, are a bit tired to finance your low
prices along with our purchases, so the trick is to brand devices
differently, and then you can't claim a warranty for a device not officialy
sold in your own country, making the bargain far less attractive.

--
Manuel Viet