[OM] back for a bit

Subject: [OM] back for a bit
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:28:24 -0400
Hi OM list. I have not been on this list for a while. Mostly I've been
working many hours attempting a startup company developing
wireless sensors. I probably won't be able to stay long as my
attention span has become very short lately.

A while back I purchased an E-1, after many years with the om4t
(I still have several bodies and many lenses). Given my time
constraints I just have not had time to deal with film. I lost easy
access to a lab and cannot afford to take several hours to drop off
and pick up film. Of course there is mail, but, I'm lazy in the end,
I've succumbed to the ease of digital.

One mistake I did of late with the E-1 was to upgrade to the latest
firmware, version 1.4. Now the auto-focus goes crazy every
now and then and refuses to focus, or racks between infinity
and close focus. I have often had to switch it to manual just to
take pictures. Why Olympus can not let users roll back the firmware
is beyond me. I write firmware for embedded devices, and there
is no technical reason you cannot do it. So the experience of
using the camera at a recent wedding has convinced me to
abandon the E-1 in favor of something else. I liked the OM's
because I could shoot in low light. The E-1 just does not quite
follow in that ability. The problem was so bad I switched on the
auto-focus assist light, thinking that would help, but no luck.
I was back to manual focus. I can just no longer trust the
camera for focusing. So, if anyone has the E-1, firmware 1.3
is much more stable, at least in my camera.

Wayne