[OM] Re: Dang this must be simple, I can't figure it out . . .

Subject: [OM] Re: Dang this must be simple, I can't figure it out . . .
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:24:20 -0600
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> The set up: I want to set the camera up, open the shutter and while I'm
> painting the areas I want lit, to shine the light thru the lens from the back
> of
> the camera.  The back will be removed although you won't be able to tell it
> as the shot will be from the front.

  Could someone explain this again? I've tried the painting-with-light
thing by opening the shutter of a camera and waving a flashlight around
to illuminate the scene -- that worked fine, but there was still the
back on a camera and film in it.

  What's the advantage of having no back on the camera? The only way I
can see this making sense is if there's a second camera around to take
the shot, and the first (backless) one is somehow being used as a way of
redirecting the light through the lens, but I'm not seeing how that
would be a good thing.

  I guess this would let you see 'from the outside' which bits of light
would go into the (backless) camera or something? But having just tried
it, I can't work out how to get the geometry set up so that the
taking-the-photo camera can see both the light-through-it camera and the
scene that's being illuminated by the light-through-it camera.

  -- dan