[OM] Re: March 2006 - trip to Arizona - recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: March 2006 - trip to Arizona - recommendations
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:09:28 -0600
On 12/16/05, james olson <james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm headed to Arizona in March for a mountain biking trip, and as I haven't
> been throughout Arizona, I'm hoping a few list members can give me some
> ideas on places to go for photography.

Canyon de Chelly is great.  You can spend several days just going back
and forth watching the light change (or I should say I wish I had
taken enough time just to do that).  I love that area.

Travel west, northwest, and stop at Monument Valley.  It's sort of a
Navajo National Park, much better than it used to be, in some ways,
but well-visited too.  The campground is steps away from your morning
shot of the Mittens.

Keep going west to Page and you are in the vicinity of the Antelope
slot canyons -- now a well-traveled destination (and photographers pay
extra), but it's fun to be there, even if everyone is trying to take
the same picture.  Horseshoe Bend is just west of Page and is an
eye-opener.

Follow the border between Utah and AZ 100 miles or so west of Page and
you are in the Vermillion Cliffs area.  The Paria Canyon/Coyote Buttes
Wilderness is overseen by the Bureau of Land Management:

<https://www.blm.gov/az/paria/index2.html>

Coyote Buttes is a restricted area.  They let about 20 people into the
area per day and are quite secretive about how to get to some of the
best Navajo sandstone formations.  Once in there, however, you feel
like a kid in Disneyland.

Joel W.