[OM] Re: OM list intro & questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OM list intro & questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:17:38 -0800
Russ Butler wrote:

>I've been lurking here for a few weeks as my interest in OM cameras has
>been rekindled. Very glad to find such a fine list. Figured I should say
>hello & pick some brains.

Welcome!!

>............ I/we spend most of the good weather months
>touring the US and Canada on a motorcycle. (I'm not rich but retired,
>guess that is rich!).

Oh yes indeedy! We are thinking about some cruising like that, but I'll
stick with the convertible. My mother has decided to move into a
retirement community, without a push. Once she is settled, our time
becomes much more flexible.

>We've used various Stylus' over the years with
>good results, even on the fly. This season I'll pack an OM for pics off
>the bike.
>
>Question is which one (1n, 2n, or 2s) will hold up best to the jostling?

Well, I'll be packing a 4, as usual, on any road trip. Given your
choices, I'd take the 2n. Even in the unlikely situation somebody
mentioned of the meter needle succumbing to vibration, that has no
effect on the TTL-OTF auto exposure system. 2ns seem to be remarkably
durable and reliable. and they are still very repairable, should
something untoward happen.

>And lens(es)? Space is very limited, as we carry all that's required for
>arbitrarily long trips, so the fewer/less volume the better. Choices of
>lenses in 'use on bike' quality are (too many): 28, 50, 100, 135, 35-70,
>28-70(tokina), 35-105, 28-200(tamron), & a vivitar 2X. I tend toward
>just the 28-200 but am all ears, especially as to robustness.

If your 28-200 Tamron gives results that please you, that covers a lot
of fl ground in a small, light package. My typical light package is the
Vivitar/Phoenix/Promaster/Praktica/etc. 19-35/3.5-4.5 and Kiron
28-210/4-5.6, but the Kiron is a relatively big, heavy thingie. The
Tamron, depending on which version you have, is close to as good and
much lighter/smaller. The 171A is really quite good.

The 35-105 is a lovely lens, but I'd never be happy with only 105mm, so
I'd have to carry something like a separate 200mm. Likewise, 28mm isn't
wide enough for me for a long trip. The 19-35mm is small, light and
cheap - and excellent optical quality.

Moose