[OM] Re: OM list intro & questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OM list intro & questions
From: John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:10:33 -0500
With heavy jostling you may have trouble with all bodies eventually.
Thing is, the 1N / 2N can still be serviced, if the meter goes out on
the 2S, you may have to forget it.  All functions in the 2S are packed
(essentially) onto one circuit board and 4 epoxied encased ICs, which is
not available.  You don't get the spot meter in the 1N / 2N, but in the
long run, they are very reliable.
___________________________________
John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743
631-424-2121 | Olympus OM Service since 1977
http://www.zuiko.com  |  omtech1 AT verizon.net

Russ Butler wrote:
> I've been lurking here for a few weeks as my interest in OM cameras has
> been rekindled. Very glad to find such a fine list. Figured I should say
> hello & pick some brains.
>
> A tad of history: I bought an OM-2n in 1981 along with a 28-48, an 85 f2
> & a T20. Used them steadily for ~5 years iirc, then just about a roll a
> year until this fall. Then a task arose that needed visual
> documentation. (Cataloging & packing away a houseful of my parents
> stuff.) My wife has several (non SLR) digital cameras and while I'm
> adept with keyboard and mouse, I wasn't quite ready for the mini/micro
> menus and myriad of controls that digital cameras 'offer' even though
> I'd get to see/re-do the pics. I recalled that the 2n worked well so I
> dusted it off and went at it. And I've been very pleased with the results.
>
> With my 2n tied up as a necessary part of 'the job', I thought I ought
> to get a spare 'just in case'. Then the ebay trouble began. Got a spare
> 2n. Then a little reading on the excellent olympus.dementia.org site.
> Wonder what the 1's are like? How about the 2s and maybe a lens or two
> (I wish!) and a T32 ... So I got infected/addicted and haven't found a
> 12-step program yet. Certainly not this list.
>
> Finally the questions: I/we spend most of the good weather months
> touring the US and Canada on a motorcycle. (I'm not rich but retired,
> guess that is rich!). We've used various Stylus' over the years with
> good results, even on the fly. This season I'll pack an OM for pics off
> the bike.
>
> Question is which one (1n, 2n, or 2s) will hold up best to the jostling?
> (My bikes are pretty smooth but there is a bit more vibration than in a
> car. The camera will be well packed & I've purposely bought a few that
> are cosmetically challenged. You can understand my 'reasoning' for
> multiple purchases: use on bike, use at home, too pretty to use, ...
> Also please don't recommend a 3 or 4 as the wallet is in recovery from
> the binging.)
>
> And lens(es)? Space is very limited, as we carry all that's required for
> arbitrarily long trips, so the fewer/less volume the better. Choices of
> lenses in 'use on bike' quality are (too many): 28, 50, 100, 135, 35-70,
> 28-70(tokina), 35-105, 28-200(tamron), & a vivitar 2X. I tend toward
> just the 28-200 but am all ears, especially as to robustness.
>
> TIA for reading this far and any and all replies.
>

> Russ Butler (NJ USA)

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

-- Type: text/x-vcard