[OM] Re: [Digital] What I've been missing...

Subject: [OM] Re: [Digital] What I've been missing...
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:22:24 -0700
At 08:40 AM 03/03/2006, Hans van Veluwen wrote:

>Have you also bought the dedicated wide and tele converters?
>
>I wonder how they perform in terms of distortion, resolution and
>vigneting?
>The wide converter looks interesting to me - it results in a 22mm
>lens...

Hans --

Yep, bought 'em both.  I'm generally impressed so far (though I've
done no formal testing), but they both attach to the A1 via screw-in
mount on the front of the A1's lens.  Both converters are relatively
large, since they gather enough light to leave the F-stop range of
the A1 unchanged at the wide and tele ends.  You also need to update
the firmware to handle the extra width or tele so that auto focusing
can continue to work, but as it turns out, the latest available
online update for the firmware already took care of that (if one
hasn't done that, both converters include a CD with
instructions).  And of course, you have to lock the macro button at
either the 28mm or 200mm position when attaching the wide or tele
respectively.  It's no big, but it's also obvious to me that you
wouldn't be doing hurried field-changes with these things --
stripping the threads would make both them and any filter attachments
to the A1 useless.  A bit delicate, shall we say, and one of the
reasons I moved away from the old screw mounts to bayonet systems decades ago.

The wide gives a 35mm equivalent focal length of 22.4mm, and the tele
gives 300mm.

All in all, with some care, it's a fairly impressive total range of
focal lengths you can get out of the wee beastie.  ;-)