[OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:24:51 -0800
I think that is probably not the way it is. Most film development has
been to make more uniform and smaller crystals even to stacking them
on end which sort of shoots down the various grain size theory. We
already know that digital photo sites are so small that they
essentially count the photons hitting it. I suspect that grain works
in a similar manner, especially when the photosensitive crystals are
even smaller.  A crystal probably requires a certain number of
photons to hit it before it is changed chemically and would explain
why ISO gets lower with a smaller crystal structure. I think it is
more the randomness of photons for such small targets rather than the
other way round.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA