[OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution a way or thinking its not about the

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital vs film resolution a way or thinking its not about the numbers!
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:26:08 -0600
> although the focusing magnifier probably did not produce an image of
> the actual grain.

That makes me scratch my head. The grain focusing magnifier is reputed to
magnify the negative so that all you see is grain. If  the grain is in
focus, then the print will be as well in focus as possible, or as in-focus
as the original.

I still do all my b&w in my own wet darkroom, and use one of two grain focus
magnifiers (short or tall), and I see what should be grain. At least there
are black bits of stuff I see that are in addition to the stuff floating
around in my eyeball.

There is a difference in what is seen both between films and at different
sizes, so it surely must be the grain, or clumps thereof. If that's not the
actual grain, what is it?

Bill Pearce