[OM] [OT] Digital and the color purple

Subject: [OM] [OT] Digital and the color purple
From: "Richard Lovison" <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:34:38 -0500
I came across an interesting article in April's issue of Shutterbug magazine
that reviewed a new Adobe plugin called DCF Full Spectrum (
www.tribecalabs.com/home.htm).  The company claims that digital cameras have
a difficult time reproducing the color purple and challenges you to take an
image of their website page and compare their page to what you see on your
camera LCD.  I was up to the challenge so with WB set to auto on my E-1 with
no lights on in the room I took the shot.  Sure enough my LCD preview gave a
very blue image compared to what was on my computer monitor.  Panic began to
settle in but then a light bulb came on in my brain... "I probably need to
fine tune WB", I thought to myself.  So off to RAW conversion I went and
changed the 6200K setting the camera chose to 7000K.  With an additional
change in Photoshop of +3 green in the highlights (I find I need to do this
correction when shooting snow scenes to get rid of a slight magenta cast in
the highlights), lo and behold, my Photoshop image came darn close, really
darn close to what Tribecalabs website page looked like.  So much for
trouble with the color purple, at least to the extent Tribecalabs claims.

Richard