[OM] Re: Flash voltage on E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash voltage on E-1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:40:22 -0500
Different versions of the same flash unit can vary considerably
depending on where and when they were made.  If you want to be on the
same side simply measure it with a voltmeter.

The center contact on the bottom of the flash's foot is usually
positive.  The ground (negative) contact will be found inside the
grooves on the foot.  If the volt meter is not auto ranging turn it to a
range higher than you expect to measure such as 500 volts.  Turn on the
flash and connect the red lead on the volt meter to the center contact
on the foot and the black lead to the ground contact in the groove.  If
the voltage measures low on the scale select a lower range so you can
read the value more acccurately.  If it's under 250 volts you're OK.

Getting a contact from the black lead into the narrow groove of the
flash foot can sometimes be a problem.  It may require using a pin or
straightened paper clip or some such attached to the black lead to get
into the narrow groove.  If the volt meter lead has an alligator clip at
one end it's easy to attach something thin (like a straightened paper
clip) to reach into the groove.

If you don't have a volt meter the shop that has the 365 for sale may
have one.  Alternatively you borrow one from a friend or buy one for
$10-15 from Radio Shack.  You'll probably find lots of other uses for an
inexpensive volt meter once you have it.

Chuck Norcutt