[OM] TOPE update: header fonts are now selectable! :)

Subject: [OM] TOPE update: header fonts are now selectable! :)
From: Olaf Greve <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:06:49 +0200
Hi guys,

When creating the new TOPE lay-out a while ago, I decided to use a
playful type of font that is used for the various headers. I thought I'd
get away with that, yet... I received several complaints about the
headers being too hard to read in some cases. :P

Soooo, to those of you who dared to critise the new lay-out: thanks! :)
In effect you were right: for some words the header font is indeed a bit
(too) hard to read.

Soooooooooooo, I have just created a solution for it. Fortunately I had
created the scripts that generate the headers such that it would be easy
to switch fonts (yes, I too played around a lot with the fonts before
making my final call), so it wasn't all that much effort to make the
header font user selectable.

In order to do so, at the 'Home' page of the site (i.e. the page you see
when entering the main URL: http://www.tope.nl), you can now select
which font you want to use (if you have cookies enabled in your browser,
you only have to make this selection once).

At present, I have configured 7 fonts which work well all throughout the
page (incl. for numbers and special characters). In theory, the amount
of fonts to use can be made virtually unlimited, but as my image
generator renders the headers into files, I decided 7 would be quite
enough for now. However, if someone has some special requests for a
particular .ttf font, please let me know.

Finally: regarding the readability: if you're having a hard time with
the default font (i.e. 'Hardkaze'), I recommend switching to 'Jeopardy
thick' or even 'Arial'.

Enjoy, and hopefully everyone can now read all headers well again! :)

Cheers,
Olafo