[OM] Re: #100

Subject: [OM] Re: #100
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 16:25:13 +1000
Accepted scientific usage is that a feral animal is an escaped
domestic animal returned fully to the wild after generations of
freedom. Introduced pest animals and plants that have never been
domesticated are termed 'exotic' - thus, we have cattle, camels,
donkeys, pigs, trout, goldfish, dogs, cats and so on that are feral
(NOT stray). They return to their original wild appearance too, so a
feral cat is very large and tabby; a feral goldfish is bronze and
small, diamond shaped, not orange; a feral pig is small black and
hairy, ready to be shot and exported to the French as wild boar. On
the other hand, foxes and blackbirds are exotics.
Feral is often confused with 'savage' and is a pejorative term. It is
also used here as a disapproving description of certain people, neo-
hippies usually, who have gone wild in the woods  in warmer parts -
living on a mixture of dope and welfare. What the English seem to
call travellers (pseudo-Gypsies).
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx