[OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back

Subject: [OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:19:01 -0700
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Well any barbecue from Massachusetts has got to be suspect, however any
> barbecue joint that has collards can't be all bad.  It would be worth a
> visit
> just to try them.  Do they have to import them from down south  somewhere or
> does
> he have some little boutique farmer growing them?  <[8^)
I don't claim to be no real expert.... I've had 'que in Memphis, KC*, NC
and Texas, a lot of it in lots of places around Chattanooga (still got
my hat from Bones, mmmm) as well as many other locales not so famous for
it.

Last year, I had some somewhere in Mass. not far from Hudson. They had
several different styles, not being locked in by local tradition, and
with several people in our party, I got to try a few. As good as the
best I've ever had, no. Good enough to enjoy throughly, yes.

For a while, a local restaurant served a pulled pork sandwich that would
have done Western Tenn. proud.

There is a local chain, and some similar competitors, mostly in Oakland
and mostly in less than great neighborhoods, that serves Texas derived
(as was the founder) beef bbq that can be great.

I say can be great, because white middle class folks don't always get
the best the house can offer. I went to a similar place in Richmond
years ago with my late wife's sister's long term live in boy friend.
Although Hispanic, he is the godson of the black owner, and we got some
seriously great brisket bbq. Later, we went in and bought some to go
without thinking to say who we were 'related' to... I think we got the
trim that would otherwise have gone in the trash, a mix of tough and
stringy and gobs of pure fat. It ended up in the trash at home.

Anyway, I think 'que is more about love and attention than secret
ingredients and techniques and pretty near anybody who takes the time to
learn can make great stuff pretty near anywhere.

*at the famous one surrounded by abandoned buildings and empty lots run
by the little old black guy where even the walls are slippery.

Moose