[OM] Re: Ot..computer probs

Subject: [OM] Re: Ot..computer probs
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 08:49:38 +0200
Le dimanche 18 Juin 2006 06:00, Paul Braun a écrit :
> Some of them just take a good whacking by someone experience in what to
> look for.  I've had to clean out some machines that actually took me 6
> hours of meticulous, highly frustrating hunting, searching, and
> downloading to clean out.  If the customer didn't have non-backed-up
> stuff on the machine, it would have been simpler and cheaper for me to
> wipe the SOB and reinstall everything.

I totally agree with you ; I've done this for my brother once, breaking my vow
not to ever touch a Windows system again. Those damned little programs can't
even be discriminated in memory from the explorer as they share the same
process PID. The registry is broken by design, and the lack of power admin
tools makes it the most painful task I faced. And of course, it was a laptop
so my brother was not that confident I ripped the disk out to clean it from
another machine (which is much easier). I finally managed to have a clear
view of the disk with a live ubuntu distribution which helped greatly.

But I made really clear to the whole family that I won't help again a computer
where IE was given internet access, full stop. If you're on the masochistic
side, you might give the so called "recovery console" a go. It makes the
command.com shell look like a forgotten paradise of user friendliness, but it
ultimatately gives a near complete access to the machine, and also a whole
new meaning to the 'low level' expression. As to know why Microsoft
constantly dumbed down admin programs, this is to me among the greatest
mysteries of the universe, along with why do the bread slices always fall on
the butter side, why do cats always fall on their feet, and what happens if
you attach a buttered slice on the back of a cat ?

I wish you the best of luck, but this is exactly the reason why I've thrown
windows out of all my computers 10 years ago and never looked back.
--
Manuel Viet