[OM] Re: Storage devices

Subject: [OM] Re: Storage devices
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 07:52:30 -0600
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> What portable storage devices are folks using that support Olympus Raw
> files?  Apparently the Epson P 2000 doesn't support .orf.

Bill, all of the devices I've looked at don't seem to support .ORF, but
that doesn't mean you can't use them as *storage* devices -- it just
means you can't preview the images on the device's built-in viewing
screen.  I've looked at the Epson ones, but the one that truly intrigues
me (and is supposed to be available later this summer) is the "Jobo Giga
Vu PRO evolution," reviewed by Rob Galbraith here:

      http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-7892-8176

It *may* support .ORF when it finally hits retail shelves (the
manufacturer claims support for "all popular RAW file formats," so I
guess we'll see whether or not they think Olympus is "popular").  One of
the features I really like is that the Giga Vu PRO evolution is quite
fast, unlike most of the readers/storage devices out there.  When you're
dumping a 2-Gig card and wanna get back in the action, speed counts.

My local pro camera store already lists the GVPe as available on their
website, but a quick call to my favourite guy there confirmed that
they're still waiting on stock.  There's been some delays -- hopefully
they'll release it prior to September...

Garth