[OM] Re: [OT] The Do's and Don'ts of apostrophe placement

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] The Do's and Don'ts of apostrophe placement
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:35:54 +0100
How about an example of the problem, Johan?  Do you mean compound words,
words formed from several other words? For example "steamship" could be OK
in English, but "steamshipcompany" which is probably fine in Swedish is
defintiely not OK in English.  I think you will find that compaound words
are uncommon in English - I am tryng to think of examples, and even the one
I gave is not a good one.  So I think my advice would be to avoid joining
(compounding) words on the Swedish model unless you have already seen them
used in English.

Now, as to your example:

"Any one" is used in this sense "you can take any one Zuiko lens on holiday"
meaning it can be any lens, but only a single lens.  Emphasis on the
quantity, and that sense would be the same in "any two" or "any three" and
so on.

"Anyone" is an unspecified person, in the sense "you can give anyone your
OM-10, but you must give you OM-3Ti to me".

--
Piers