[OM] LCD Monitor Question

Subject: [OM] LCD Monitor Question
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:43:05 -0500
OK, I'm still thinking about a second LCD monitor. While perusing the
Dell site, having heard their Ultrasharp models were exceptionally
nice for the price, I noticed in the tech specifications Dell lists a
number of resolutions and refresh rates. This seems damn near perfect
for some of the tasks I envision, including writing web pages that
people without Apple Cinema displays can see on their monitors
without need for scrolling half way across the universe.

So, all I've heard says that with Apple, one should leave the native
resolution where it lies, which in my case is 1920x1200. When I mess
with that resolution in system preferences, I get downright ugly
results, that is, what comes on screen looks fuzzy and not at all
attractive. Things appear correctly only at 1920x1200. And while this
is perfect for watching Lord of the Rings <g.>, it leaves something
to be desired with more text-heavy tasks.

Is this not the case with other monitors that advertise different
resolutions at different refresh rates? The Dell seems like it would
be perfect for such tasks as web authoring because I could set
resolution down to something more likely to be right for the majority
of viewers, in the 1024 to 728 range, which is the resolution my
current site was written at.

I apologize for the newbie questions, but folks on this list have a
way of explaining things far better than the folks at the sites which
sell the equipment. They all assure me I can do anything I like
including butter my bagel with their products. I have many tasks in
mind for my monitors, but bagel-buttering is not one of them.

--Bob