[OM] OT, The Fens, was A little cottage, was Re: Re: Photo

Subject: [OM] OT, The Fens, was A little cottage, was Re: Re: Photo
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:44:53 +0000
Jan

Here's a shot I took today while I was doing some of my own
training.  It's the wind farm east of Ramsey, looking east towards
Ely and Soham.  I had no students to fly today, so I took a chap who
has moved on and he enjoyed a free ride while I practised my stuff
and took some photos.  He also made a short video of a standard,
powered approach for me to give my basic students in teaching them
landings.

I'll get closer to Soham and Ely next time, but unfortunately there's
a USAF base at Mildenhall whose zone covers Ely; I shouldn't go too
close because they operate large aircraft and they will get twitchy
if a contact comes too close without talking to them.

If it were a RAF base I might go closer and talk to ATC, but USAF ATC
is the least flexible ATC in the English-speaking world.  I have
tried a simple zone infringement in the past, talking to a controller
at Lakenheath, but it became useless within a few minutes.  I advise
my students to avoid USAF controllers at all (well, most) costs.

Chris

<http://www.threeshoes.net/photography/threeshoes-temp/wind-farm-
ramsey.html>

~~ >-)-