[OM] [OT] car sturdiness [was: Can*n Keeps Moving]

Subject: [OM] [OT] car sturdiness [was: Can*n Keeps Moving]
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:41:24 -0600
> I traded it in on a '55 Chevy Bel Air red and white sports coupe,
> which might have been the best car I've ever owned. I accidentally
> drove it off a flooded road and sank it nearly up to the windshield
> once. A nearby farmer drove his Farmall up and pulled me out. The
> engine started right up, despite having been under water. They just
> don't make them like that anymore.

  Actually, they do -- it's just that "they" are Japanese:

  Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hzRLG8dA-E

  Take a 190,000-miler Toyota Hilux Diesel truck, and try and kill it.
They fail; among other things, they sink it overnight under the Severn
Bore (that's a 40 feet high tide, made of sea water). Still starts. Drop
a caravan on it. Still starts. Still starts. They set it on fire. Still
starts.

  So, that's not enough;

  Part 2:
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk

  They drop a building on it. Literally. They put it on top of a
20-storey block of flats and blow the building up.. Yup, it still starts.

  -- dan