[OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - II - Disks - and a question

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - II - Disks - and a question
From: "Tom Scales" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 19:12:58 -0400

Well, I don't have a very controlled environment, but just ran a couple HD
Tunes.

On the SATA version, I only have drives configured as two drive Raid0 arrays
(hardware on my Dimension 9200).  Interestingly, although the D9200 will
support a four drive array, the max is 2TB per array, so I can't go above
two drives.

97.7Mb/s average
104.3Mb/s peak
12.1 access

I have two of the 750Gb IDE drives, but that is a headless box, so I can't
really get it in a proper config for a test.  So I had to run it with AVG
still running and with too many applications running.  It is also an aging
P4-2.4 box, so it isn't the 'hottest box' around.

That said, it ran

62.7Mb/s average
74.7Mb/s peak
14.9ms access

The numbers were skewed as the last 30% or so of the test something must
have kicked in to run as the numbers dropped badly.  For the first 2/3 of
the test it was running right at 76Mb/s average --- pretty good for an IDE
drive.

Benchmarks aside, I've never seen a huge 'feelable' difference from a faster
drive.  Some, but not a lot.