[OM] Re: Vuescan color profile problem {WAS:Don't cry, just do it! [was

Subject: [OM] Re: Vuescan color profile problem {WAS:Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]}
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:44:50 -0700
Michael Wong wrote:
> Just got a failed experience :(
>
> I put an unexposured frame into scanner & preview in Vuescan, and then
> select "lock exposure" & preview again. I select "lock film base
> color" upon preview. I changed an exposured frame into scanner &
> preview ............. but came out a full dark image .......... ~_~
>
> Dunno what's wrong????
You are trying to do something unnecessary - and maybe impossible. It
used to be possible to scan and lock the base color of neg film in
VueScan,  I know I tried it long ago, but that may not be available anymore.

However, that was only necessary when the base color for your film
wasn't in the VueScan internal film database. When you choose "Media:
Color Negative" on the Input Tab, "Negative Vendor: Kodak", Negative
brand: Portra" and "Negative type: 160NC" on the Color Tab, you are
setting it to scan using the base color of your Portra 160NC, which it
already knows about.

And if you use an icc profile, the effect of the film base color is
included, so again, there is no need to try a separate adjustment for
base color.

Moose