[OM] Re: Vuescan color profile problem {WAS:Don't cry, just do it! [was

Subject: [OM] Re: Vuescan color profile problem {WAS:Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]}
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:23:53 +0200
On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 09:50:52PM +0800, Michael Wong wrote:

> Just got a failed experience :(
>
> I put an unexposured frame into scanner & preview in Vuescan, and then
> select "lock exposure" & preview again. I select "lock film base
> color" upon preview. I changed an exposured frame into scanner &
> preview ............. but came out a full dark image .......... ~_~

Be sure that you don't lock image color on a blank film strip. IIRC
Vuescan sets the film's intensity range to a fixed value with this. A
blank film strip is only white (slide) or black (negative), so the white
and black points are almost at the same level.

Rather take the picture with the darkest shadows and the brightest
highlights and lock image color on this. You won't get overly-clipped
blacks and whites in any of your images then.

Depending on the pictures you took, you might not want/need image color
lock anyhow. If you have a frame with a dim lightbulb that you want to
have white you'll have to adjust the white level over a frame where you
captured the sun.

Nils