[OM] Re: rainbow

Subject: [OM] Re: rainbow
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:31:44 -0400
With the right software the knowledge required is about zilch.  I use
PTGUI these days because I'm familiar with it and have owned it for a
long time.  I had abandoned it for a while in favor of Autostitch
<http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html> because
Autostitch seemed like magic in comparison and had the great advantage
of being absolutely free.  Since then PTGUI seems to have absorbed some
of the magical qualities of Autostitch so I returned to using it as it
also had functions that Autostitch doesn't.  But it is definitely not
free.  It could be that PhotoShop does it just as well but I've never
even tried it.

Anyhow, I can highly recommend Autostitch.  It generally works well if
given enough overlap between images and, as I said, seems to work like
magic.  You just point it to a folder with a series of panoramic images
(and possibly even some other, unrelated junk).  You don't have to tell
it which images are part of the pano or how they're supposed to be
aligned with each other.  It will figure it out all by itself and
discard the images it thinks don't belong.  It truly is like magic.
Download it and try it.  All you've got to do is step outside with the
camera, set a good, constant aperture and shutter speed and take two,
three or more photos such that each overlaps the other by about 1/3.
More overlap if there's not much detail in the image.  Drop them into a
folder and point Autostitch in the right direction.

When taking the individual pano shots try (as much as possible) to swing
the camera around an imaginary centerline somewhere near the middle of
the lens.  Not technically correct but probably good enough if your
subjects aren't too close.  Distant landscapes should work out fine even
if your center of rotation for the camera is way off.  Close objects
require a tripod and careful rotation about the entrance pupil of the
lens in order to avoid parallax error between different shots.  Just
ignore all this jargon as unnecessary if you're shooting images
moderately far away as is the case with landscape panoramas and rainbows.

Chuck Norcutt