[OM] Re: Using flash outdoors on a bright day.

Subject: [OM] Re: Using flash outdoors on a bright day.
From: "Phil" <pcks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:09:09 +0100
Ali

There are various ways you can use flash to aid you on a bright day and
depends what equipment you use/have.

Where possible I use my flash off camera manaul mode with radio slaves but I
will presume these were not available

In the shot below I used the sun as a hairlight and my SB80 as a fill, it
was off Camera but could just as easily have been on Camera, you can in fact
use the sun any way you wish depending on where you place your subject. I
metered as per normal (manual) set flash to half power
and did a few test shots and adjusted accordingly.

The flash I always use in manual and I know roughly what settings to use
following testing, by using manaul you get consistent exposures. The only
limitations can be the Camera sync speed, the shot below was  1/160 at F4,
( I can creep above my sync speed to 1/250 with no adverse effects) I wanted
to shoot as wide open as I could for the bokeh, I needed to drop the ISO
down to 50 to get this reading. If the aperture was smaller you need to have
the power in your flash to match.

As for white balance, I shoot raw and tweak in ACR but if using flash
normally set manually at around 6000K

Dr Flash will explain all of this far better than I have :)

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m187/deck-it-out/bun.jpg

Phil