[OM] Re: Wacom tablet

Subject: [OM] Re: Wacom tablet
From: Mike Butler <om2s.usr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:52:04 -0700

>Andrew Fildes wrote:
>

>>> I'm thinking of treating myself to a Wacom tablet for use with a Mac
>>> - nothing extravagant, 4x5 or 6x8 would do me fine. Fancied doing it
>>> for years to be honest. Interested in converting photos or areas
>>> thereof into line and doing micro-manipulation. Anyone using one? I'd
>>> love to hear your experiences/recommendations
>>> Andrew Fildes
>>> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>>

>As per a recent email, mine is used so much it's worn out. I have a
>Graphire 2.
>
>I find it much more precise than using any other method for selections,
>paths, spotting, airbrushing and so on. The Graphire 2 is 5x4, which is
>adequate, but something a little bigger would be better. I do have a
>Trust 6x8 (unused) which I inherited from my late father-in-law, and a
>12x9 Medion which was cheap at Aldi. The Medion is a bit big, but useful
>for relaxed work when sitting upright at the desk for ages doing
>spotting or repair would be too much.

Andrew,

I have used a 12 x 9 (or 12) Tablet for over 20 years and the only time
I get any wrist problems is at home with a Trackball after a few hours
or after 15 minutes with a regular mouse.  As it was explained to me, by
using the larger pad it forces you to move your whole arm thus
preventing the repetitive wrist movement that causes the pain in the
first place.  After a short time you don't  even look at the screen for
the mouse because you "know" where you need to be.  I currently use a 12
x 9 mapped to two wide screen LCDs for CAD work.  The only downside of
the 12x9 from Wacom is the $500 price tag.

Good luck in your decision.

Mike Butler,
Dublin, California