[OM] Re: Great New Olympus Odyssey Pictures Posted

Subject: [OM] Re: Great New Olympus Odyssey Pictures Posted
From: Patrick Moore <paddy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 09:25:26 +0100
* On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 08:48:01PM -0700, Moose said:
> >> I haven't read much Pratchett, but I did just finish the book that he
> >> wrote with Neil Gaiman.  Loved it.
> Yup, terrific read. I read a bunch of when I first ran across him
> Pratchett. He is a great storyteller, very funny and has things to say
> underneath the humor. But, for me, he has told the same things many
> times, so now I pick one up every so often for a good time.

I still really enjoy the discworld novels, the latter ones have been rather
wonderful (especially Night Watch).  But yes, I do conceed your point on
the same story.   But it's a good tale to tell, and they are told better
than I could tell them.   This is, after all, why I read such books.
Anyway, there are only about seven different plots out there these days so,
why not. :)

> I loved Neil Gaiman's American Gods and especially Neverwhere. I keep
> thinking I should try one of his graphic novels, but it hasn't happened
> so far.

His Sandman books are amongst my favourite graphic novels.  He's just
released "The Ultimate Sandman", where all 10 books have been collected
into three hardback volumes, and the colours have been redone.   If I
didn't already own all them in paperback I'd be very tempted.  Actually, I
am very tempted anyway,  but not for a while anyway.

If you like the Marvel superheroes, his 1602 book is quite nice, but not
quite sandman in scope or quality.   Hmm,  speaking of such books, I must
order myself a copy of Watchmen.

> The HG2G stories are real classics.

I agree totally,  but I still think the radio series is the finest
incarnation of the story.

   |\      _,,,---,,_          Please, can I have some beer?