[OM] Re: somebody want a polaroid filter for photoshop

Subject: [OM] Re: somebody want a polaroid filter for photoshop
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 20:20:35 -0800
swisspace wrote:
> along with many others   free 15day trial
>
> <http://practicalphotography.blogspot.com/2007/07/tiffen-dfx-digital-filter-suite-finally.html>
> or
> <http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=dfx>

I don't pretend to know what most of the listed filter effects are. It
does seem pretty expensive to me for regular photofilter effects, which
are available in PS. I expect most of the rest could be duplicated in
PS, but for a pro doing a lot of work, it might well be worth it to be
able to duplicate effects one is used to.

However, a software polarizer can't really work for 'seeing through'
reflections on glass, water or other transparent surfaces. Each pixel
has only brightness. If it comes from the reflection, that's what's in
the image, and there is no way to recover the image behind the
reflective surface. Unless you are a CSI on TV.

As to specular reflection control, I also have my doubts. Most bright
specular reflections on most shots have gone to clipping of at least one
channel, more likely 2-3. There is again, no way software can create
color information that isn't in the image. It may either reduce the
blown area to a very light gray or color it based on the surroundings.
You can see the effects of white/gray vs best guess color in different
conversions here
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5D/page23.asp>. As ACR already
does an amazing job of 'recovering' lost highlight color, I doubt the
Tiffin filter could improve on it.

In neither case will it duplicate the effect of a physical polarizer,
which often kills the reflection enough for the underlying color(s) to
be captured.

Finally, a software "polarizer" filter should be able to do fine at the
task of darkening sky and increasing cloud contrast/detail. In fact, it
should be better for very wide angle lenses, where the effect of a
physical polarizer varies across the sky area. On the other hand, this
effect is easy to do in PS without a special filter.

Moose