[OM] Re: Well OT, financial markets, was public service

Subject: [OM] Re: Well OT, financial markets, was public service
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:58:50 -0500
In the 1982 NCAA Basketball Men's Final, North Carolina was down 1
point with less than 20 seconds left (I think). Carolina's hot hand
all night had been James Worthy, who had single-handedly kept UNC in
the game against Georgetown and it's new power center, Patrick Ewing.
UNC approached its basket, with few seconds remaining, and everyone
in the New Orleans Superdome knew that during the time out, Coach
Dean Smith had instructed his players to "get the ball to Worthy."

As the clock ticked down, Dean Smith's players got the ball to their
heretofore pretty much unheralded freshman, Michael Jordan. Jordan
sank an 18-foot jump shot to put the Tar Heels up by one. As
Georgetown raced down the court for one final attempt, the guard with
the ball made a bad pass, intercepted by James Worthy. Worthy was
fouled, went to the line, and missed his foul shot. Some say the miss
was intentional, as Dean Smith was well known for not covering the
betting line, which was Carolina by 2 points.

They won by one. I know because I was there, up in the stands behind
the Carolina basket, screaming "Oh my God! They gave it to the
freshman! They gave it to the freshman!" (It was a long time ago, and
I had drinks before the game, so if I missed a detail or two, don't
hold it against me. I know there were only a few seconds left, and I
know they "gave it to the freshman." And I know Worthy missed his
foul shot, or shots.)

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com