[OM] Re: [way OT] Re: How high's the ... rant

Subject: [OM] Re: [way OT] Re: How high's the ... rant
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:27:17 +1000
Tricky given that several of us seem to argue that it's not really
happening, some would want to take a shot of (or at) a politician
changing his/her mind and I'd need a camera with a maximum shutter
speed of several years. I could go back to the Pilbara, about 3,000
km away, and shoot the area that had five cyclones (hurricanes) in 18
months but I can't get away right now. A photography teacher at the
school where I teach Philosophy managed a heart attack at 37yo so I'm
covering some of his classes for a few weeks - the highs and lows of
teaching 15 year olds. Busy as.

I did shoot the winter solstice Lantern Parade last night and could
argue that the climate changes are causing the weird folk to come out
into the light - it was mildly amusing watching the Christian and
Pagans trying to bother each other. Disturbing too - one bunch of
fundamentalist Christians had all all their little kids at the front
of the crowd (God, they can breed!) chanting religious slogans. It
was a bit 'Village of the Damned'. But I was using the 5D and 16-35mm
so it's moot anyway. And they'd all decided not to bother with the
human sacrifice so it petered out in the rain.

Anyway, in a quiet moment I was re-reading Ambrose Bierce yesterday
and in the 'D's' ran into a few definitions that show a) American
politics hasn't changed much in 150 years, and b) neither has your
view of it. All on the one page -
Decide, v. i. To succumb to the preponderance of one set of
influences over another.
Degradation, n. One of the stages of moral and social progress from
private station to political preferment.
Delegation, n. In American politics,  an article of merchandise that
comes in sets.
Deliberation, n. The act of examining one's bread to determine which
side it is buttered on.

He is essential reading for anyone aspiring to curmudgeon status.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx