[OM] Once in a while, you're in the right place at the right time...

Subject: [OM] Once in a while, you're in the right place at the right time...
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:39:33 -0500
As a matter of background, I'm good friends with Jim Peterik, he of The
Ides of March and Survivor fame, for those of you familiar with classic
rock.  Once or twice a year, JP gets a bunch of his music buddies
together for a big all-star, 3-hour-long lovefest/jam session.

Usually, it's an event that he's organized, and he always puts me on the
guest list, and I get to go to rehearsal the day before.  For me, it's
like Rock'n'Roll Fantasy Camp.  I get to hang with guys that, back in
the day, I couldn't get any closer than half a stadium to.

Tonight's show is different -- it's being promoted by someone else as a
$250 a pop benefit for the music program at a school in Chicago.  As
much as I love my pals, $250 just ain't in the budget.

However, last night at rehearsal, a guy saw me walking around with the
E-1 shooting rehearsal casuals and introduced himself, talked a bit
about photography.  Asked me if I was familiar with Henry Diltz's work.

I said of course I was -- the covers of over 300 classic albums,
Woodstock, etc. -- Henry is a legend among rock photographers.

"Are you going to the show tomorrow?" he asked.

"I'd love to, but $250 isn't in my budget now."

"Well, Henry is going to be the official photographer, and I want you to
meet him.  You're on my guest list.  This is my event and I'd like you
to shoot some backstage stuff as well."

Soooo..... I get to go to the show anyway, hang out with my pals, get a
nice infusion of rock'n'roll energy, and I get to meet a living legend
in the worlds of photography AND rock.

I brought my cd of The Eagles "Desperado" which he shot -- debating on
whether or not it would be right to ask him to sign it.
--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon