[OM] Re: focus blend CS4

Subject: [OM] Re: focus blend CS4
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:07:52 -0700
WayneS wrote:
> Over the summer I took some shots with multiple focus points thinking I would
> eventually try to combine them for extended DOF. Well Photoshop CS4 now has
> that feature. Here I combined two images (first images I came across in my
> files). One was focused on the back petals, the other on the stamina, shot at
> F13.
> There is no way I could get this kind of DOF with just F stops.

Some excellent examples and an interesting thread. I'm sure I'll get
around to trying this one day with CS4 or one of the stand-alone apps.

In the meantime, I know that combining two images of relatively large
subjects into one isn't all that difficult manually using layers in
earlier versions of PS. These were hand held under less than perfect
conditions. I knew there was no hope of full DOF with one shot, so took
one of the petals and one for the stamens.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/GGPark/Flowers/pages/FL27.htm>

and this one where I didn't quite catch the tip
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/GGPark/Flowers/pages/FL25.htm>

and <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/GGPark/Flowers/pages/FL34.htm>

Much trickier at higher mags, where the image size differences get
pretty significant.

My trouble is that I usually want the greater DOF for a shot in the
field with equipment at hand and shooting conditions un-conducive to
careful multiple shots. It's windy, or the light is changing rapidly, or
tripods aren't allowed, or I don't have one, or there are people I'm
blocking or they are wandering through the subject area, or ...

I'm less interested in making test/demo images just to prove that it works.

Moose