[OM] Re: Best focusing screen for low-light / shallow DOF

Subject: [OM] Re: Best focusing screen for low-light / shallow DOF
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:48:15 -0500
Check here:
<http://zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/findergroup/focusingscreens.htm>
The standard advice would be to use a 1-4 screen on an OM-1 or OM-2 and
a 2-4 screen on an OM-2s and later bodies.  The 2-4 screen is brighter
than the 1-4 in order to compensate for the light lost to the metering
sub-mirror on the later bodies.  While not designed for the OM-1 and
OM-2 the 2-4 screen can be used there by trimming the grip tab that's in
a slightly different position to prevent its installation in the early
cameras.  The reason is that the meters on those cameras don't work
properly with a 2-4 screen but the meter can be adjusted or you can
compensate in other ways.  If you want a 2-4 screen the big problem may
be finding one.  Just like the 2-13, they are rare and expensive.

Another possibility.  I don't know for sure but seem to recall that the
(fixed) focusing screen in an OM-40 (OM-PC) is the equivalent of a 2-13
screen.  A 2-13 is brighter like a 2-4 and has the same center focus
aids as the standard 1-13 but that might not be a problem if your
trouble is the outer edges of the frame.  I just can't recall whether
it's easily adapted or not but it certainly doesn't have a grip tab even
if all the dimensions are correct.  Dead OM-40/PC bodies can be had
cheaply and robbed of their screens.

I've never had a Beatty screen but I seem to recall that the surface is
coarser.

BTW, when was the last time you had your eyes checked?  When I first got
my OM-1 in about 1976 I could focus on anything.  Today, even with
glasses, I have to depend on autofocus for anything beyond hyperfocal
methods.  Good DOF frequently saves me from myself.

Chuck Norcutt