Re: [OM] IMG: Backyard Visitor

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Backyard Visitor
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 20:14:40 -0500
Great Horned Owl dinner menu, courtesy of Wikipedia
These birds hunt at night by waiting on a high perch and swooping down
on prey. Prey is quite variable, but is predominantly small to
medium-sized mammals such as rats, squirrels, mice, moles, voles,
marmots, skunks, shrews, bats, weasels, gerbils and even porcupines.
Locally, hares and rabbits can comprise a great majority of subsistence
for Great Horned Owls. Birds comprise the other large portion of Great
Horned Owl prey, with birds ranging in size from kinglets to Great Blue
Herons being taken. Locally, waterbirds, especially coots and ducks, can
be important prey; raptors up to the size of Snowy Owls are sometimes
taken. Reptiles, amphibians, fish, crustaceans and even insects are
occasional prey. Cannibalism has been recorded.

Chuck Norcutt