Re: [OM] The other kind of weather

Subject: Re: [OM] The other kind of weather
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 08:41:17 +1100
Hottest day ever recorded in Melbourne yesterday - 46.4deg. Cool
change is through but some of the grass and forest fires have simply
turned and run with at least six large ones still out of control
('large' usually involves thousands of hectares). Some of those rural
fires can move at tens of kilometres an hour. Latest figures are 25
dead in the fires in this state and likely to go above 40, many in
their cars trying to flee. Last week's heatwave already filled the
morgues with premature deaths among the elderly. Worst since 1983
when my mother-in-law lost her home but we didn't have any bad
outbreaks in my patch of the forest this time.
Meanwhile, up north where it's supposed to be hot, Queensland has
disappeared under severe floods.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx