Re: [OM] (OT) Pixel (?) line on monitor

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Pixel (?) line on monitor
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 16:45:14 -0400
Just a wild guess but I would suspect some failing memory in the video
card or other memory used for a video buffer.  The fact that it stays
with a particular app implies to me that that app has had that piece of
memory allocated to it.  If you close the app the memory is freed and
made available for reallocation which may be to a different app or to
the same one.  It's possible CS4 is aggravating the situation by pushing
memory usage into areas the were little used before... or not.

You can test the main memory part of this (vs the memory on the video
card) by unplugging 2 of your 4 gigs of memory.  Everything will be much
slower of course (unless you've got another 2 gigs you can swap in) but
check to see if the line goes away.  If the line is still there then
swap the in and out banks around.  If the line stays there no matter
which bank is in use then I think the problem is in the video card's
memory and or the circuitry controlling the video memory.  If the video
memory is easily removable then try unplugging and replugging it.  Maybe
it just needs a little vibratin'.

If none of that helps I'd call tech support at Apple or whomever
manufactured your video card because I'd guess it's failing.

Chuck Norcutt