Re: [OM] Question: Early OM-1?

Subject: Re: [OM] Question: Early OM-1?
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 18:22:50 +0200
Hi George, Bart and all,

From: Bart Wientjes <bartjew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> so it would be entirely possible for an
>> OM-3Ti to have a back indicating manufacture in 1973 - that would have to
be
>> a Wyoming-plant prototype!
>
>.... which will take lousy pictures, as the back doesn't 'really' fit the
body.
>The film pressure plate of the non-MD OM-1 is somewhat smaller than
>the later ones.

I was about to write the same... Been there, done that ;^)

In fact, I did the opposite: in order to get the film reminder frame, I put
the back of an OM-2 on my old pre-MD OM-1... that's even worse, because the
old body has a couple of screws at the back which keep out of the smaller,
expected plate -- but kept the longer pressure plate FAR from the film rails
at one side!!!

It basically ruined all shots :-( Well, all but one: the "accidental" tilt
was as effective as in a view camera, rendering everything important, from
the eyes to the (much closer) feet of the sitting señorita, in perfect
focus, despite the wide aperture (40mm @ f/2 or f/2.8 IIRC)

>In other words, one can 'maufacture' an early-1970's OM-3Ti by
>slapping an non-MD OM1 back on it, but it will never take good
>pictures as the film pressure plate doesn't really fit the camera
>body. :)

But you may fit the back from a MD-type OM-1, which is old enough to come
from the Wyoming factory :-) :-)

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)