[OM] ( OM ) OT Windows XP PC question

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) OT Windows XP PC question
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 04:31:36 +1300
Hello all,

At this time of year I turn into a grinch.  I hate Xmas for all the extra
pressures and costs the season imposes. They throw totally out of whack
any timetable for normal things that I might have. Without fail. It usually
sends me into a significant state of depression. Oh well !
Rant over for now.

I have an Acer pc running XP.  On dial-up, not broadband.

Lately - in fact for a little while - I have noticed it continues downloading
"something" when connected to my ISP but not supposed to be doing
anything at all. Normally, I disconnect it when I'm not deliberately doing
something on the internet, as I get charged $$ for every second I'm
connected; but sometimes I forget to disconnect.

It's not Avast anti-virus. Normally this will do its own updating without
letting
the user know, but I typically take charge of that process and know when it
is done. So it's not Avast. It's not Spybot as far as I can tell, for the same
reason.

It's not Windows Automatic Updates as far as I can tell, as I have Updates
turned off. I don't have enough spare space for some clown of a program to
fill my hard drive so much the system crashes.  But for all that I don't trust
Windows / MS enough to necessarily believe that it is really OFF when I
have it switched that way. It "could" be doing it.

As far as I know it is not the Conficker virus; I have run the Microsoft test
for
that as well as Avast and I think my system is clean.

It is not Apple audio as far as I know since I disabled its update process. it
wanted to download 60 MB, so I showed it where to go.

It "could" be Adobe; it nearly always tries to connect when I open any pdf file
sent to me (and I get plenty). I'm pretty sure it wants to impose some
massive update on me. Since it is Adobe, ANY update is sure to be
massive. But I never agree to do what it wants, if I know about it.

So; the crunch question.  How can I test / check just what program is
initiating / running these unauthorised downloads?

All and any answers appreciated.

Brian Swale.