Re: [OM] Descreening a scanned image

Subject: Re: [OM] Descreening a scanned image
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 14:46:23 +1000
Thanks very much Moose, a very significant improvement on the original and yes,
I'd be interested in the full size image.

I had a look at the Focus Magic site and it looks like an interesting product
for recovery of detail from blurred originals, I'll download it and have a play.

...Wayne

> Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 5/24/2010 5:25 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> > ...  Focus Magic got rid of the regular dot pattern running through
> the image without much difficulty (radius 5 or maybe 6 IIRC).  That left
> an image with lots of white spots sprinkled about and very visible on
> the men's coats.
>
> I took a shot at this using what I had. I got something that sounds
> similar to what FM gave you using Lens Blur. It eliminated most of the
> pattern, except for little dots. A bit of Box Blur too care of that, but
>
> the whole image was left looking blotchy.
>
> Playing with parameters in NeatImage took care of most of the
> blotchiness. Bits of LCE and a different application of USM brought back
>
> a little punch.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Harridge/Roper.htm>
>
> Wayne, if you want the full size image, I will send it to you.
>
> I may try Focus Magic, but for now I've both used up my interest and
> suspect that all the real detail available in this particular image has
> been retained. It does sound interesting, though, for higher resolution
> images with fine screens. I've had less than complete success with the
> descreen options in the 9950F driver and in VueScan.
>
> Moose
>
> > Presumably I should be able to use Neat Image to clean that up but I
> really don't know how to use Neat
> > Image even though I have it installed.  I will send a copy of it to
> your personal email account.  I also ran it though ACR and got rid of
> most of the color cast but maybe that part was undesirable.  :-)
> >

> --

...Wayne

Wayne Harridge

http://lrh.structuregraphs.com