Re: [OM] Saving the planet or just saving money?

Subject: Re: [OM] Saving the planet or just saving money?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:07:53 EST

In a message dated 11/15/2010 4:57:23 P.M. Central Standard Time,
chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

The
car has 210,000 miles and the engine is in perfect  condition.

I'm only about 5000 miles ahead of you on my '04 Suburban. Engine runs
great and about 100,000 of the miles are on a new rebuilt transmission.   When
this one heads south, it will probably get another rebuild.

Your story of replacing the transmission yourself reminds me of my days in
college when I was on my back in a bunch of gravel trying to stab a manual
transmission back in my Chevelle.  Kept breaking the arm that held the
throw out bearing in place.  Then there was the time I was replacing the  power
steering hose on a previous Suburban in the eye of a Hurricane that was
passing over Houston. I'd actually done it before just before the  hurricane
hit, however when the little spring loaded valve jumped out of the  hose and
landed on the ground I'd guessed wrong and put it in backwards.   So, as the
eye passed over . . .

These memories remind of some of the choices I've been able to make later
in life. Choices like finally being at a point to where paying someone to do
it  rather than being under the car with a heavy transmission on your chest
was  the solution.  Your day will come.

Bill Barber